Brockville Fire Department

360 Laurier Blvd.
Brockville ON K6V 7J6

General Inquiry
Phone: 613-498-1261

Call: 9-1-1

Contact Fire Services


Get new posts by email



Fire Hazards


At work, home and everywhere else we may go there are potentially lethal fire hazards constantly surrounding us. It is extremely important we are aware of these hazards, and invest in taking proper care and paying attention to the proper storage and maintenance of these products. Below are the top highly flammable household items followed by the top 6 classes of the most common fire hazards. Make note of these fire hazards as they can be found in practically every home and often not thought of as dangerous.

Highly Flammable Household Items

  • Nail Polish Remover/Nail Polish
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • Alcohol (ex. Vodka)
  • Gasoline
  • Lighter Fluid
  • Motor Oils
  • Antifreeze
  • Pesticides
  • Paint
  • Hand Sanitizer


  • Deodorant
  • Cooking Oils
  • Oranges
  • Flour
  • Sugar
  • Hairspray/Mousse
  • Bleach
  • Cotton
  • Moth Balls
  • Cologne/Perfume



Leaving candles unattended, and in close proximity  to flammable materials can be a major cause of fires. Tips for preventing a fire caused by candles include:

  • Blow out all candles when leaving a room or leaving home
  • Provide at least 12mm of space between candles and flammable materials
  • Don’t burn candles to completion
  • Ensure that candles are supported and will stand upright alone

Human Negligence

Human error and negligence contribute greatly to the starting of fires. Tips to prevent fires caused by human negligence include:

  • Don’t leave your food unattended while cooking
  • Provide lots of space between cooking appliances and flammable material
  • Make educated decisions
  • Use equipment properly (manufactures procedures)


Allowing your electrical cords to become worn out (frayed), malfunctioning appliances, and overloading power strips all can be  major causes of a fire. Tips to prevent fires caused by electric issues include:

  • Don’t overload circuits
  • Don’t use appliances that  total more than 13 Amps
  • Replace frayed electrical wires
  • Replace faulty equipment showing signs of loose cabling, frayed cords and damaged plugs


Failure to put out a cigarette, and leaving a cigarette unattended can be major causes of a fire. Tips to prevent fires caused by smoking include:

  • Dispose of cigarettes properly (in ash trays)
  • Don’t smoke where flammable materials are present
  • Assign designated smoking areas
  • Don’t leave cigarettes burning unattended


Fireworks may start fires after landing on flammable material, and also put the user at risk of burns or other injuries. Tips to prevent fires caused by fireworks include.

  • Ensure you have the proper certification to be setting off fireworks
  • Clear the area and remove all flammable materials from the area


The storage of flammable liquids, aerosols and materials is very important. Tips to prevent fires caused by storage and disposal issues include:

  • Seal flammable liquids, aerosols and materials properly.
  • Clean up spilled matter.
  • Store in areas of low temperature, far away from open flames.